Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Pinterest Party? Ok, I'll go.

A good weekend planned. Attending a friend's Pinterest party on Friday evening... sounded interesting so I am going. Apparently this type of party is popular these days. Filled with scissors, food, glue, fabric, paper, beer, wine and good friends. Being the crafty type, or better word for me is creative type, I decided to go all in. First you have to bring a dish from somewhere on Pinterest.

I'm not too confident in my culinary arts so I found something that wouldn't be too difficult to mess up. Potatoes! Fortunately, on Wednesday, we received a large sum of baked spuds from my roommate's work potluck. A quick search led me to this http://www.justputzing.com/2012/01/loaded-mashed-potato-cakes.html. My journey may have been easier with unbaked potatoes but I had them and used them.

Peeling theses starch bombs was a little challenging. I saw on a television show to put them in ice water and their skin will wipe off. What not to do? Put cold potatoes in ice water. This is not a successful way. So, with suggestion from the experienced chef, I heated them in the microwave and tried again. Sad face here. Not to be thrown asunder and beat by my earthly nemesis, my fingertips and nails tormented five of them. You might think this was a bad horror movie for vegetables. God, what did I do to these things? Wet, pale, mangled and gouged. I stopped and used a knife for the rest of them, slicing off burnt skin and dried meat parts. It happens. I now know, just use a peeler or knife, t.v. miracles don't work in my home.

*One thing I was unaware of, when working with potatoes, recipes use pounds for the amount to be used. I don't have a food scale. Time to wing it.

After slicing the potatoes into mini potatoeses, I added over the recommended amount of butter (2tbsp) and threw them back in the nuker to soften them up for mashing. *Oh yeah, I also had rosemary from the yard baking in the oven to dry it out (150 degrees until dry) which I also added to the heated mess. Scoop by scoop and the transferring of hot steamy buttery potato bits into the metal bowl was complete. Masher in my right hand, cradling the bowl with my left, then mash-mash-mash. I should have used beaters... had to experience it though. I added milk, spices and more butter throughout until the consistency was appropriate (by my right arms standards).

Since the dish is lightly fried, I gathered all the ingredients for tomorrow's event and hopefully will prevail with something mind blowing. Or, at least decent enough to eat. Eggs, bread crumbs are ready and will head to the store to find a cheese to mix in. Egg is still in shell; I don't want mr. egg contaminating anything overnight.

Please, please, please let me not get anyone sick with food poisoning; I was ill for seven days from a rotten egg (i think)... worst experience of an illness ever. I scoff at the flu now. Thanks eggs! You made me stronger yet weaker. The incredible salmonellable egg!

The other part of the party is to pick a craft from Pinterest. This I haven't even researched. The meal needs my undivided attention. I can hack and crack crafty crafts on a whim. But, I think I may make diaper wraps for my wheelchair pooch. He has five: three made by me and two store bought which rubs his masculinity raw... if used everyday.

I'm tired. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment